May 15, 2008

Singing and Suckers



The boys of course love to make noise and the other day when I was preparing lunch both were singing away, or at least what they consider singing. Lane can sing some songs, but was making up his own words that day. I also find if one is jabbering the other one has to pipe in too and then they compete to see who is the loudest. Lane is loving being outside and wants to do that first thing in the morning when he gets up. He also has been into wearing this crocheted hat that his Great Grandma Harper made and loves to pose of course. Owen is trying to climb almost anything right now and we are still waiting for those first steps. Lane loves to go to the bank because he know he gets a sucker from the teller and when we went today we decided to get one for Owen too. He did a good job of eating it, but of course made a sticky mess. I didn't care too much about the mess and was glad to see how much fun he had with his sucker. I have been busy converting my flowerbed in the backyard into a vegetable garden. I have been transplanting the flowers I liked into the front yard and pulling out the rest. I am now ready to till up the spot and plant some more vegetables. I planted some vegetables a couple of weeks ago and decided I wanted to expand my vegetable garden for two reasons, one the price of groceries is crazy and two, having a larger garden will allow us to be more self sufficient and help not only with food for the summer, but also help with food storage. I have a hard time storing the grains and water and things like that, but feel I am doing good in a year supply of canned fruits, veggies, and frozen meat. I try to keep extra of the other things, but need to work on making that extra a year supply. I really have been thinking a lot about this lately with how the country and world is doing right now. I want to get some water stored, but where do I store that much water? And where do I store all that wheat, sugar, rice, beans, etc? I need a bigger house! I also want to get together 72 hour kits for each member of my family. I hope that if we did have a disaster that these kits would help us survive until aid reached us if the situation was that bad. Dan is working, working, working. He is doing 40+ hours at his new job and also doing carpet cleaning on his days off along with his husband jobs - mowing lawn, changing oil in cars, etc. He is staying busy, but doesn't seem to be too bothered by it. He still makes time for his family and that is important to do when you are busy, busy, busy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I see Lane I just laugh. I love that kid. He has the cutest personality. Good luck with food storage. I just got a food storage recipe book that is organized so well. It gives you some starting ingredients to obtain and then recipes you can make with those. Then if you accumulate a few more ingredients then you can make all the first ones and then a bunch more and so on. It is awesome!

Dr. E said...

Penelope enjoyed watching the video of Lane and Owen singing and so did I. It reminds me of our little singer, except she does it during sacrament meeting. As soon as the organ starts playing she grabs a hymn book and goes to town. Of course we are in a tiny little branch now so everyone can hear our little vocalist going at it. I get a kick out of it but I just wish she would sing a little quieter.

Melinda said...

Oh this post makes me miss those boys so much. Hilarious picture of Lane, again! He's too much. And Owen has gorgeous eyes. I guess I never noticed how dang blue they are. So pretty! And I hear ya on the food storage thing. We do have a place to store the stuff but it overwhelms me to think of getting started. Anyway good luck!