Dec 15, 2007

Steelhead at the Hells Canyon Damn


I went Steelhead fishing with a couple friends today. It sure was fun to finally catch some monsters! We get up at 3 in the morning and drive a couple hours to a recreation area known as "Hells Canyon," where you can catch These nice size lunkers.
This is the 6th time i've gone fishing for these big trout and all the other times before this, I've been skunked each time. Finally the monkey is off my back. In fact, I had the most success today. I caught these two big ones, the top fish is 24 inches and the bottom pictured fish is about 26 inches, with another couple smaller steelhead as well. Then, at the end of the day, I hooked into another fish that almost broke my pole. I could just tell it was a monster, but it popped off after about 15 to 30 seconds.
Steelhead are rainbow trout that have returned from oceanic life to spawn in rivers in the northwestern states and alaska, as well as russian inlets.
The snake river where we fish has a fair amount of nice fish in it. They sure are tastey.

Janeil and I can't wait to see you all in just a few days... we'll see you soon.

3 comments:

Jana said...

Daniel.. That conversation we had on the phone was pretty hilarious. Did janeil fill you in on the details? I'm excited to see you guys.

Melinda said...

Nice catch Dan! Can't wait to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

now that is a decent fish! Haven't seen too many of those lately.